Sometimes our thoughts can be unhelpful and make us feel worse.
Examples of thoughts that can be unhelpful include:
- Blaming yourself for things that aren’t your fault
- Imagining worst-case scenarios
- All-or-nothing thinking (e.g. people are either all good or all bad)
- Over-generalising (e.g. I made a mistake one time which means I’m not good at anything)
- Mind reading (imagining that you know what someone else is thinking)
It can help to start keeping a log of your thoughts and where they come from, as this will help you to challenge the thoughts!
How to challenge the thoughts
Illustration credit: https://www.instagram.com/journey_to_wellness_/